Monday, November 4, 2013

Wood vs. gas fireplaces...?

electric fireplaces ventless on What are electric fireplace inserts | Fireplace Mantel Blog
electric fireplaces ventless image



momathomew


What are the pros and cons of EACH? We are moving into a house that has an older gas fireplace. Our inspector says he personally likes wood and we should convert it back. My husband also likes wood and thinks the point of a fireplace is to save on gas/electric bills. I agree with that, but I'd like to know the good and the bad about both gas and wood.
Thanks



Answer
I have a wood burning fireplace. My original thoughts were that I would go with wood burning because I wanted to use it to save money rather than lose money due to gas. The place that built my house put in a radiant wood burning fireplace. I've found out a few things since then. I'll list some of the options regarding fireplaces and pro's/cons.

Radiant Woodburning:
- Pros: best as far as appearance - real fire and easily visible
- Cons: lets cold air in during winter when not in use and can make the room smell a little, have some mess to clean up when you bring in the logs, can be a little hard to start, doesn't heat the room well

Woodburning with Blower:
- Pros: best for saving money if you have firewood available and does a great job of heating the room
- Cons: can't see the fire as well, it's encased by a metal door with glass in it due to the blower

Radiant Gas:
- Pros: easy to start, easy to see, no firewood mess, no smell, easy to view
- Cons: not real wood, expensive to heat with, doesn't heat the room well

Ventless Gas:
- Pros: very easy to start (just flick a switch), no firewood mess, no smell, very good at heating room, easy to view
- Cons: somewhat expensive to heat with but much more efficient than a radiant fireplace, glass door isn't meant to be opened often

If it was me, I'd either go with a wood fireplace that has a blower or a ventless gas fireplace.

Oh yeah, a few little notes if you get a wood fireplace, especially a radiant one. After you open the chimney flu and before you get ready to start the fire in the fireplace, I recommend opening an exterior door or window, especially if you have a well insulated home. If you don't the difference in air pressure between outside and inside your house can draw smoke into the room even with the flu vent open. Keep the window or door open until the fire gets going. After the heat from the starts going up the chimney and creates an air draft up the chimney then you can close the door or window without the worry of smoke filling the room. Also, it's good to leave a few ashes in the fireplace. The ashes are what hold the heat. And lastly, make sure to leave air void under your logs and some in between them. The air void allows oxygen to get to the fire when you are starting it and allows the fire to start easier.

What is the best ventless fireplace during power outage?




Milo


I went through the ice storm last year and we had no electric for almost two weeks. We had to go stay with my mother-in-law b/c she has a fireplace and we had a small child we were worried about getting too cold. Her water is on pump though, so we had heat, but no water. Her stove is also electric, so we had to try to cook in the fireplace. I'd like to get a ventless gel fireplace for my apartment so that when...not even if, but when...it happens again, we can stay home and have a cooktop and running water. I don't even know where to start! I need something inexpensive to buy and to buy the refills for as we are kinda low income. I also need something that puts off enough heat to keep at least a bedroom, preferably my living room, warm by itself. I have two very young children (one 2 and one 6 weeks) so I need something that is very clean burning. And it needs to be small as space is an issue. Anyone have any suggestions? Please include link to website where I can buy.


Answer
The gel fireplaces are mostly just decorative. I can't imagine getting one that will heat a room sufficiently.

Seems to me that burning anything that will produce enough heat to warm a room is also going to put off enough carbon monoxide to be deadly, especially to babies.

I'd never consider it. I'd move to an apartment with a real fireplace.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Wood vs. gas fireplaces...?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment