Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Which is more efficient? Using a gas fireplace or an electric space heater?




John


I have a home built in 2004, masonry fireplace with metal flue and a Home Depot gas log set. My question, is whether it is cheaper to run the fireplace to add a little warmth to the den or to use a ceramic type electric space heater. From what I've read, a fireplace is very inefficient. However, gas is more efficient and cheaper than electricity. You do get a fan, oscillation, etc out of the space heater, but gas is a thermally more efficient than electricity and much cheaper. I also have a solar voltaic system that covers about 50% of my normal electricity usage, so that may also skew the real equation of relative costs.


Answer
It is more efficient to use your electric space heater unless you had a fireplace insert. After reading your question it sounds like you just have a flue and not an insert. If you only have a flue and no insert is present, then most of the heat generated by the fireplace logs is going up and out the flue. Thus, it is more efficient to run the electric space heater. In addition, you have a solar voltaic system to increase the efficiency of your electric heater. However, if you had a fireplace insert and not just a flue, then it would be more efficient to burn gas rather than run the heater.

-Miller's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning

gas fireplace vs electric heater?




Patty


I have a gas fireplace that I use to heat a small enclosed porch during the winter. My furnace is set at 62 and I do not turn in on until Dec 1 but my gas bills still seem high. The furnace does not run constantly. I have good windows and instilation. I was wondering if part of the problem is the gas fireplace running too much. Would an electric heater on the enclosed porch be cheaper to run, or would my electric bill go sky high. The gas fireplace only runs in the evening.


Answer
those electric heaters are not often too efficient, not to mention the fire risk, I would stick with a gas fireplace for now




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Which is more efficient? Using a gas fireplace or an electric space heater?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment