Monday, December 23, 2013

Should I get a couple of those fake electric fireplaces to heat my apartment?

electric fireplace 1000 sq ft on Duraflame Electric Fireplaces | Fireplace Heaters, Stoves & Inserts
electric fireplace 1000 sq ft image



BrianT


What do you think??? I have about a 1000 sq ft apartment that has electric heat...baseboards probably easily over 10 years old. I know that if i had gas it wouldn't be close to worth it, but would it save me money to get a couple of those fake electric fireplaces to heat the apt. I guess I don't know the difference in electricity usage between old baseboards and a couple new electric heaters. I like the look of fireplaces, so if its just a little more I'd be up for it, but if it's a total rip off then it's not worth it. In case it matters I live in upstate NY so I have to heat the place about 5 months out of the year in a warm year. Thanks!!


Answer
I'm in a similar situation - baseboards, and I have an electric fireplace in one room. I keep my thermostat down low, and just heat the one room with the fireplace.Very cozy, with its real-looking "fire".

But I never compared the baseboards to the fireplace....at least you can roll* the fireplace wherever you want it and stay nearby. The baseboards are where they are - stationary.

*mine rolls

So, I'll be interested in the answers you get.

How much will not having a fireplace hurt our sales price?




bcyouletme


We live in Nebraska and built our home last year. To keep costs down, we didn't build in a fireplace and opted to have an electric type to move around instead. All the comps I have been doing have fireplaces/hearth rooms and I am hard pressed to find a home without a fireplace here. How much will that hurt when we sell? I know we may exclude certain buyers who absolutely want one, but it really wasn't that important to us. I am just looking for a general figure.....our home is 4 beds, 2.5 baths and about 3000 sq ft with finished basement and 2 car garage, built in 2007 and bought for 177k.


Answer
On our appraisal when we bought our house (with a fireplace) 6 months ago we had $1000 added against the comps without fireplaces. Our house is 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 2K sf, 3 car garage for slightly higher price than yours in Idaho.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should I get a couple of those fake electric fireplaces to heat my apartment?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment