Thursday, September 26, 2013

What is more cost efficient gas or electric fireplaces?

electric fireplaces direct on Electric Fireplaces : Cherry finish
electric fireplaces direct image



MRS C B





Answer
Whoa, Whoa, whoa! Lets put some perspective to this answer shall we before we all jump on a bandwagon.

Your most efficient gas fireplace appliance will be a direct vent gas fireplace. they vent directly through the outside wall so it may or may not work with your current fireplace location. DO NOT go with gas logs for heat. vented gas logs are energy and fuel wasters and vent free gas logs effect your indoor air quality. Direct vent is the only way to go if efficiency is your key factor.

On electric...if you plugged your flue with a chimney balloon to prevent cold air infiltration and then put in a electric fireplace insert this is not a bad option. the electric inserts do a decent job putting out heat for relatively little KWH consumption.

Overall the direct vent will give you more heat efficiency for your dollar in use but it is going to be a couple thousand to have it put in. the electric fireplace option is maybe a couple of hundred and is a DIY project.

I have split level home and room tempeture is so different.....?




jpae0018


there's about 10 degrees difference down stair and upstair. my mother stays down stair and me and my husband stays upstair... espcially in summer time it's never cool enough upstair and frezzing cold down stair.... what can I do?
have celing fans in everyroom upstair... and closed the vent down stair...



Answer
I had this exact same problem. I have a downstairs fireplace with a wood stove insert I use for additional heating in the winter, to lessen my electric bill. I found the way to even things out was to use a whole house circulating fan. I installed it mainly for distributing heat in the winter but found it works for cool air in the summer. Mine was added after the fact and sits in the cold air return and is in addition to the fan in the bottom of my electric furnace. It runs all the time when I have to use heat, which is about 6-7 months out of the year. The heater vents upstairs are all only 20% to 40% open. The vents downstairs are fully open so most of the air flow is directed downstairs. The whole house fan equalizes the distribution of heat throughout the house by moving the air around all of the time instead of just when the furnace is on like the built-in fan does. It took me a while to balance out the air flow In a single level house, a couple of ceiling fans would do the same thing. In the summer, the only thing I change is to open the upstairs windows and the chimney dampers. You would be amazed how much air flow there is in an open chimney without a fire from a hot living room in the summer, especially after sundown when it gets cooler outside. It isn't perfect. There still is a difference between upstairs and downstairs, but it is much less than it was before I had the fan installed.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is more cost efficient gas or electric fireplaces?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment