Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Gas or electric fireplace?

electric fireplaces in canada on Dimplex Sussex White Electric Fireplace Mantel Package | eBay
electric fireplaces in canada image



Barrycudda


We have an older model Napoleon gas 'stove' fireplace. It fits into a recessed area in the basement wall, cut into the foundation. It is about 3 feet wide, two feet deep, and goes right up to the ceiling. Lots of room for this little fireplace and the pipe.
I want to chuck this as it never did work to well, I have replaced the ignitor twice, and the vent on the outside keeps getting covered in snow putting out the pilot light.
I was thinking about getting an electric one.
A couple questions.
Should I go with another gas one, or possibly pellet or electric?
I live in western Canada so it does get used a lot-not so much for heating, but for 'warmimg up'.
Also, there will be space above it. Would it be safe to put a TV up there? It would fit nicely and look good, and free up more floor space.
Or, is an electric one a safer bet?
Thanks for your thoughts!



Answer
I have the Pellet stove in my barn office. Really like it. Burns clean and provides
great heat. I use wood in the house. I have 4 fire places in the main house.
Burn Oak only. Keep the house well hydrated. Has never let me down.

No outrageous electric or fuel cost. 100 percent clean burn and efficiency.

I am sure hydrated is not the word I want here, But you get the point.
Must be walking down Alz and Heimer blvd.

Why do few homes have central heating in Britain? Or, is that a complete lie?




Dinah


I read in a travel guide that few home have central heating or 'forced air' ventilation in the UK. Maybe that is because people have fireplaces, space heaters, or something like that. Were the houses simply built that way, older homes?
I just knew it! That travel guide never mentioned the discrete radiators. British houses have heat, indeed.
I would imagine that heat from a boiler would add moisture the atmosphere in the home as well. This is good, especially in dry cold weather, helps the skin stay conditioned.



Answer
That travel guide is wrong, as so many travel guides are about so many things. Being British I've never heard of forced air ventilation, but central heating by means of storage heaters or hot water radiators is almost universal in the UK. It works well for us as houses are generally so much smaller.

Older homes were of course only built with fireplaces but almost all have been converted to a hot water radiator system fed from a central boiler. When I was younger we had a coal fire at home in the fireplace, later converted to a gas fire with a boiler behind it that fed the central heating system. You will also find in most British houses an immersion heater to heat hot water in one of the bedroom cupboards, known as the airing cupboard and a useful place for the final drying off of laundered clothes as it's relatively warm in there. Now I live in a recently built flat, I have an airing cupboard and electric storage heating as gas is now deemed to be dangerous in a block of flats.

The one thing you definitely won't find in British homes to any great extent is air conditioning. The climate being mild and temperate just about the whole year round, thanks to us being an island (sea all around us does a lot to moderate the climate) on the same latitude as the south of Canada, it would just be pointless.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Gas or electric fireplace?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment