Saturday, September 28, 2013

is it cheaper to use electricty to have my wall heater on or to plug in a portable heater?

electric fireplaces energy efficient on electric fireplace entertainment center cost, electric fireplace ...
electric fireplaces energy efficient image



anonymity


It is so cold out and I am curious to know if it costs more to run my (not gas) wall heater or to purchase a portable heater. I really want to purchase one of the electric fireplaces that home depot sells, just wondering if it would help save my power bill.
Thank you
I am in Seattle



Answer
your wall heater should be more efficient than a plug in heater. The wall heater is most likely hooked to 240 volts which will use less energy to heat up a room than a plug in 120 volt heater. having insulated walls and attic and "newer" windows will keep the heat in. Check with your power company for windows or insulation, Most areas will pay for some of the work, depending on if your on low income or not. Good luck

Any tips for lowering the cost of heating a home with oil heat, besides turning the heat down ;-D?




hmm


I am thinking for next winter about possibly using space heaters. Or even an electric fireplace which would be both pleasing to the eye and warm. I live in New England.
A wood stove! Why didn't I think of this before... I guess I had to post the question to realize the answer myself... ;-D



Answer
Don't forget the old standbys: insulation, air infiltration (does your local power company offer energy audits?), poor heat circulation within a room (are you heating the ceiling while your feet freeze?), more efficient windows and/or window films, insulated draperies or shutters closed at night, and the remarkably effective old camping standby that if your hands or feet are cold, put on a hat (up to 30% of body heat is lost through the head).

The very cheapest energy is that which you do not use.

One thing you do have to be careful of with a tighter and possibly cooler house: condensation on interior surfaces is a leading cause of mold. Air to air heat exchangers can increase air circulation while retaining heat.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: is it cheaper to use electricty to have my wall heater on or to plug in a portable heater?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment