Saturday, December 21, 2013

Looking for a portable heater. Need recommendation.?

electric fireplace 10 000 btu on ... Radiant Vent-Free Liquid Propane Heater - 25,000 BTU, Model# ML250TPA
electric fireplace 10 000 btu image



Kurt Z


I am looking for a portable heater, I am not sure as to what type to get but I am leaning towards an infrared heater. The lady at my place of work whom works in human resources owns an infrared heater and swears by it. Now I heard that infrared heaters do not heat the air per se, but instead heat the objects within the room, but the heat one feels is instantaneous. Is this true? The details: my home is about 1040 sq feet. Roughly 40 feet by 26 feet. My main room is 26 feet by 22 feet with an 11 foot ceiling. I have drafts and have tried to seal them to the best of my ability. I put plastic on all the windows. I put socket sealers in all of the outlet boxes and wall switches. I have caulked small gaps and used non expanding foam in the larger gaps. My bed room is drafty but I have left the door open as I do not have a return air in the bedroom. (I have a central HVAC unit). Does anyone have a recommendation on the type/brand of infrared heater to get? I am not sure as to the BTUs I need nor am I sure of the wattage needed, but I have a Heat Surge flameless fireplace that at its highest setting pumps out about 5100 BTUs, but that only heats an 18 foot by 18 foot room. I want something that puts out just enough BTUs to heat the dimensions I stated earlier in this message and keep me comfortable, but I want something is very cost efficient. I would appreciate any help one can give me. Thank you.


Answer
Sizing an Electric Room Heater:
Once you decide what type of electric heater you want to use, the next step is determining what size unit you need.
Electric heaters come in a range of sizes measured in how much energy they consume and heat they put out, and are rated in Watts.

To size an electrical heater for a room, first understand that the size will be affected by heat loss through the walls and windows in the room. So the amount of insulation and quality and number of windows will have an affect on the heater size.

However, as a rough rule of thumb, assume the heater to be sized at 10 watts per square foot of room being heated. Measure the length of the room and the width of the room. Multiply the length times the width and then multiply that by 10. This will give you the rough wattage for the heater. If the room is poorly insulated or has a lot of windows, select a slightly larger unit.

So to heat the entire house your looking at about a 11000 watts. Mega power usage.

If you go by the BTU's assume about 40,000 BTU's.


For portable one room heat, I like the infra red heaters.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Looking for a portable heater. Need recommendation.?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment