Monday, July 1, 2013

Simple ways to make an apartment a home?

best electric fireplace for warmth on Amazon.com: Dimplex DFI2309 Electric Fireplace Insert: Home & Kitchen
best electric fireplace for warmth image



Allie


Tips and links would be much appreciated! If you have any personal experiences or ideas about how to make an apartment feel less temporary and more like a home I would love to hear it. I have some ideas but I've been feeling blocked. I spent the last few months wanting to move so badly. I gave up on making anything exactly the way I want it because I figured what's the point if we'll be moving eventually anyway? I want to love where I live so much I will be able to bring that warmth with me when we do eventually move. Even if we do move I won't feel any different if I can't be thankful for what I have now.


Answer
The absolute cheapest way to make an apartment feel like a home is too paint the walls. You'll have to get the landlords permission though. Yes, I was told to only use light colors. :( But I soon found out that light colors make for an interesting backdrop for many different decorating styles. I found out from using light wall colors that I actually love Shabby Chic, and French Provencal Styles. Remember paint is cheap so who cares if you can't take it with you, so focus on what can be taken with you. Curtains, furnishings, etc. I hated the light fixtures that were here. I changed most of them out, to my styles but kept the old ones stored in the basement, because when I move, I can re install the ugly ones and take mine with me. Just kill the power at the fuse box to avoid giving yourself a shock. Install the new fixture during the daytime as like I said power will be shut off till you do the switch out. Don't just turn the lightswitch at the wall off, cause some of the older buildings have the light fixture wires hardwired into the electrical sockets on the walls. So from personal experience if you don't want a shock turn the fuse panel off. (Pull the fuses). Like I said think about furnishings as your color sources to make it feel homey. Cushions are a good example, curtains, even shower curtains, (and yes you can install them to hide shower doors as well). If you feel the need to give the extra touch to wall treatments and have the landlords permission then you can use borders on walls and you could stencil. Some landlords will let you wallpaper as well as long as it's removed when your ready to move out. However, the wallpaper can't be taken with you. Also even if it's a rental who's to say you can't accessorize the outside area as well. I have a porch and I have put a wicker rattan bench out there, with some wicker tables and some nice potted plants. I asked the landlord about a small garden to which he said yes as long as it was on my side. I found out a garden was impossible bc of an existing foundation that was left behind from an old building. So I thought about it and bought the kit for a raised garden bed. At homedepot in the states and filled it with my own ground to plant flowers. (Again the raised garden bed can come with me when I move all I have to do is disassemble the wood pieces and take it with me). Yes the ground gets left behind but who cares, its just ground. The plants can be dug up and replanted when I move as well. (Because it's all temporary). So have fun decorating and making your space feel like a home. Another way if you like fireplaces, buy an electric one and you can place it in whatever room you want and take it with you as well. Or even the electric woodstoves.

How to save on electric bill?




Future Die


My husband and I moved into a house that is all electric. Our old house had gas heat. So far, we HATE electric heat! It doesn't heat the house very well at all. The temp at night has been in the 40's and the heat seems to always run!

We have shut off the vents in the upstairs, because no one is ever up there. The heat is set on 65. What else can we do to save on our electric bill?



Answer
Insulate your attic and basement

Maintain glazing in window panes and caulk around windows to prevent air leaks. Use weather stripping where needed.

Use the damper in your fireplace

Weatherstrip around doors.

Install insulated drapery on your windows. Open drapes in the morning to let the sun in. Close when the sun goes down to keep the warmth inside.

Unplug all electronic chargers when not in use.

Use Smart Strips on all electronic equipment. This is a multi outlet devise you plug a bunch of things into and turn the strip off to cut off the current to all those electronics that are drawing electricity even when not turned on.

Use a Smart Strip in your kitchen for your microwave and small appliances. Turn it off after every meal.

Change all light bulbs to Compact Florescent Lights.

Wash only full loads of clothing in cold water. Do several loads in a row so you take advantage of the warm dryer.

Take shorter showers.

Is your dryer vent air tight?

Are all storm windows down?

I turn my heat down to 60 degrees at night and sleep under a cozy down filled duvet. It is heavenly.

I turn my heat down to 60 degrees when I leave the house.

Watch television in the dark at night.

Moist air keeps a house warmer than dry air. Add humidity to your home in the winter time.

If you are using your oven tonight, bake the potatoes for tomorrow night's dinner. A toaster oven uses less electricity than a conventional oven and I am a convert since a friend cooked some really delicious meals in that toaster oven of his. I now believe in toaster ovens.

Do not be fooled into thinking you are saving money on your electricity bill if you run appliances in the evening. The fact of the matter is that, yes, electricity is being saved, but the savings is only for the electricity company. Your electric bill is one flat rate per usage and it does not change rates according to the time of day you use your electricity. This is a common misconception most people are lead to believe, when, in fact you pay the same rate morning, noon and night.
Yeah, it is wise to use appliances on off peak hours, but it saves you not one dime on your bill.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Simple ways to make an apartment a home?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment