Thursday, July 4, 2013

I rent. My central heat and central air has been broken since February 13.?

electric fireplaces in ontario on The above information is believed to be accurate but is not warranted.
electric fireplaces in ontario image



Jannycakes


My landlord has failed to fix our central heat and air conditioning unit since February 13th. We went with no heat in thew winter. I have 2 children. They gave us space heaters that would cause the circuit breaker to trip and shut everything down with in 5 mins. We own our own electric fireplaces so we used them one in my bedroom one in the livingroom. Very cold for kids to shower in the morning. Now we have no AC. We had a heatwave were our apartment was at about 105 degrees F for 4-5 days. They provided no fans. We had to buy our own fans. We have not paid last months rent or this months rent yet. Not because we are with holding it but because my husband is a contractor. He hasn't been paid yet. We have lived here for 11 years. They know when we have it we pay it ASAP. They have told me there is a specialty part the unit needs. They said it would be ready this week. Now I find out the family member/landlord who deals with that is on holidays for 2 weeks. It's going to be hot here in Ontario. The sister/landlord calls me at 12pm on the day rent is due to ask for the rent. Is it just me or is she insane?? THEY HAVEN'T FIXED OUR STUFF FOR 5 MONTHS. Also the light in the ceiling caught on fire a week ago and my son was terrified. They have don't nothing about that. Just told me to not turn it on anymore. People think I should report this, but since I am afraid we haven't paid our rent yet and that it will upset our understanding for each other when the rent is late, I haven't done so. This is really getting bad though. 5 months no heat or ac. They have not offered to take money off the rent for this inconvienience or pay for the fans we have had to buy. They just keep calling for the rent. Please help me...what would you suggest.


Answer
That place is a death trap. As soon as you can afford it, get out of there. And you need to start saving extra money instead of blowing it so you can pay rent when you have no income. Landlords are only required to supply heat; air conditioning is only an amenity.

First home, what can I expect?




411me


So i just bought a new condo in ontario, closing date is in january. I have been renting for 5 years all inclusive so I have never had to worry about utilities. My condo is a two bedroom, smallish, with all electric baseboards, and a gas fireplace on the main floor. Luckily all of the windows are newer and it seems to be insulated well. I am wondering how I can keep my costs low, for example, should I only use the gas to heat the main level and keep the upstairs low, since heat rises? should i put an electric fireplace in the basement or would it be the same as running the baseboard heaters down there? and any idea on approximately how much during the winter an average electrical/gas bill would be? Just trying to prepare as best I can.


Answer
This is probably apples and oranges but i was installing replacement dampers and chimney balloons in a condo assoc of 500 units in IL and every last one of these 10 yr old condos had electric baseboard heat (what an ill-conceived notion) and two wood fireplaces. Some of the more vocal owners admitted to spending $300-$500 per month on electricity in the winter months in these 1500 sq ft condos. Granted they also were also the ones trying to "supplement" their heat with the wood fireplace (another ill-conceived notion) .

In your case, only use this gas fireplace if it is a direct vent that vents straight through the wall. If it is a gas log unit plug it and forget using it. Even if it is a vent free gas log I wouldn't use it due to NO2 concerns. Personally, I stopped offering vent free for liability sake.

Anyway, with Electric heat the cost will be pretty high, but you evidently have gas service for the fireplace so it stands to reason you can get a direct vent fireplace hooked to it if your current one isn't a direct vent already. Using that as your primary heat source would be good and just supplement with the baseboard heating as needed. Any direct vent heating appliance will trump your baseboard heat so you may want to consider one for the basement.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I rent. My central heat and central air has been broken since February 13.?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment