Thursday, June 5, 2014

How can I lower my electric bill!?




Kitty S


I have a direct vent fireplace I have been running a lot in place of my heat. I thought this would lower my electric bill. However, now my bill seems to be even higher! My home is approximately 1300 square feet and my bill is about $200.00 a month.


Answer
Your rates might have gone up like a lot of other peoples. Washing your clothes in cold water will save on the 220 hot water heater. Wash only when there is a full load. Saves on the 220 dryer.
Putting the hot water heater and the fridge on save or normal will help.
Turning everything off when not using saves.
Something over the windows helps to keep the heat in. Curtains and there are plastic kits that can be put on the inside of the windows.
Using the oven the least you can saves. Runs on 220.
Using a tiny night light during the night saves.
People say the curly light bulbs are cheaper to use than the other ones.

Sellers lied about their electric bill! What can we do?




TKANDAG


My husband and I just bought a vacation home in the mountains. It IS electric heat and we were aware of that. We did ask the sellers to give us an amount of how much they paid per month. We were told $40.00 and at the most $60.00 when it was being used. The house does have 2 fireplaces and I admit, they help out a lot when heat it kept in the 40's, low 50's. We got our first bill and it was $130.00 for 15 days for a few days of being in the house! I called PPL, was told they are not allowed to provide information on the previous owners but told me their usage amount would have put them in the approx range of $200.00 per month! I feel so foolish for not calling PPL 1st before buying and my husband & I are usually very thorough. I do have an email from our realtor telling us how much it was. I am so upset that someone (sellers) would flat out lie about something like that. We now have vacation house that we want to use, winterized, and the bill is still 77.00 for about 3/4 month. It's estimated to be 120-140 w/house being practically SHUT DOWN!

Should we contact a lawyer? Is it even worth it? We didn't strap ourselves but the extra money for electric is coming out of our "cushion" or possibly savings. We asked for every detail ahead of time so we could budget. Shame on us for thinking there were honest people out there!

Any suggestions?! Please be serious. I don't need a teen commenting on something they know nothing about.

THANK YOU!
Ya know, I completely agree! We should have asked for bills. We were actually going to and they were so slooooow w/the regular paperwork, they were holding up settlement (costed us a mortgage rate to go higher in 1 day), we would have locked in and obviously did then when we realized they were not quick movers. There were so many hold ups on their end, we decided to just ask for utilities via email/text. We'll probably have to sell it. $60.00 vs. $200-$250 is a big difference. We never had electric heat so we had no idea. I heard if you're reasonable and cautious it can work to your advantage.



Answer
Nothing to do. Your fault for not checking into it. You really though a house with electric heat in the mountains where it gets really cold could possibly had an electric bill of $40? I would have called BS on that the second I heard it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How can I lower my electric bill!?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment