Saturday, April 12, 2014

Electric Fireplace vs Central Heating - Cost?




TJ


This winter is a insane- this, we can all agree on. I am fortunate enough to live in Texas, so I can't complain a whole lot when comparing to other states (stay warm out there, everybody!)

That said, I'm wanting to save money on my utility bills, will still keeping warm.

I've been eyeballing some electric fireplaces lately. Since I live in an apartment and don't have a real one, this would seem like an interesting idea.

Now, I do have central A/C and heating. Summer months are a money funnel, but I deal with it and let that sucker run- it gets hot and humid in Texas. I've been reading a lot of reviews and info on how electric fireplaces can cut costs greatly, so I was wondering what the general idea would be on this concept.


Would it be more cost-effective to run an electric fireplace over central heating? I guess in the same respect, a space-heater would do the same in general, but an electric fireplace has more visual appeal IMO.



Answer
If your central heating is resistive heat, then the fireplace is likely to give you nearly the same efficiency. If your central heat is gas or heat-pump, then central heat is going to be many times more efficient.

That being said, if you can turn down your central heat significantly and you use your fireplace to heat a small area, it could potentially save you a little. I can't imagine you would see savings in an apartment unless it is an exceedingly large apartment.

Electric Fireplace?




Andy D


I live in an apartment, with electric baseboard heat. I bought an electric fireplace, with hopes that it would lower my electric bill a little, and look nice at the same time. It doesn't seem to heat very well. Should I return it and get something different? Maybe a space heater with a bit more powerful of a fan? I'm just looking for something to supplement the electric baseboard, because it can be VERY expensive to run.

Thanks!



Answer
Electric fireplaces are basically for looks. And a space heater can be very dangerous if knocked over or can get really hot. If you live in the middle of the apartments... meaning not on a corner unit and not on the top floor I wouldn't worry about heating. You are going to get a lot of heat from the other apartments. I would just buy some extra blankets and get some sweats. When I have lived in apartments and now I live in a town home in the center the heating has never been an issue. I have had to many times have the patio door open to get rid of the excess heat. And I live in Minnesota!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Electric Fireplace vs Central Heating - Cost?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment