Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Amish fireplace heat surge Not worth it?




Michelle H


Warring these fireplace only last a year. We got one last year for Christmas did not use it a lot. This winter we use it only at night to warm my daughter bedroom. Well last night went to turn it on and it would not turn on.Call the company all they would do is offer us another one for $139.00 The stove works but nothing like what they say. And they are made in China.


Answer
I do not own one of these but at one time I was considering buying one for my rental apartment downstairs, so I did some research. These fireplaces are cleverly advertised to make the consumer think the HEATER is Amish-made, but in fact it is only the outer wood mantle that is Amish-made. (By the way, I would not let the quality of this product reflect negatively on the work of the Amish ....they have good morals and standards and are worthy of respect.) However, the HEATER component of these fireplaces is manufactured in China, and well, we all know the issues associated with Chinese products lately !!! lol

Please check my link from Consumer Reports and Better Business Bureau:
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/02/heat-surge-roll-n-glow-electric-fireplaces-amish-heaters-better-business-bureau.html

how to troubleshoot air quality problems in your home?




art_flood


I'm trying to find out how to improve the air quality in my home

What steps should I take? How do I troubleshoot problems if I have any?

I have a gas/co2 meter - and it usually measures 213 or 215 - I don't know if that is a problem or if that is standard - I've spoken to people about it they think that's the standard that it comes with. I don't know

I've done a radon test but I don't have the results back. The last time it was 2.5 - and I'm not sure if that is something I should do anything about.

I try to vacuum regularly

I have considered having the ducts cleaned

I have had people work on the furnace and hot water heater and supposedly that is all fixed now

I don't have any plants but I've considered getting them

I try to keep things clean but that has been a problem for me - I am considering hiring someone to help me

any more ideas?

thanks so much



Answer
"Air Quality" can be a pretty broad item to define. My original answer was too long, so I'm trimming it down - my apologies if it seems terse, or not enough details - there's a lot of info to cover.

Add/change your furnace filter to a HEPA filter (it will require changing more often)

Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter on it

Use 'dust trapping' tools, like the Swiffer product line, or attachments on your vacuum to do regular dusting.
Items that absolutely must be blown out with air, should be done outside.

For those that do not have a central air system, purchasing one or more air filtration units will help. Ionization filters CAN cause problems with computers or other sensitive electronics, and they will leave a black residue on the walls, especially near electrical outlets, which will have to be wiped off. Ionization purifiers cost less in the long run to operate - but with more and more things that have complex electronics inside them it may be necessary to stick with filtration units - again, use HEPA filters whenever possible.

Steam cleaning your central air system's ducts can remove the dust, AND help kill any germs hiding in there.

Avoid using candles, incense, and wood or gas burning fireplaces on a regular basis. They're fine for special occasions, just don't use them everyday - they do add smoke particulates as well as a small amount of carbon monoxide to the air.

ANYTHING that has an open flame creates carbon monoxide. This includes candles, gas appliances, kerosene heaters, oil lamps, and of course, things that use engines, like a generator. Portable electric generators, and kerosene heaters put out a LOT of carbon monoxide, and these items CAN be deadly. You cannot smell carbon monoxide, so it is important to have monitors/alarms in place.

NEVER use a generator inside an enclosed space.

All mobile home manufacturers that I am familiar with will VOID your home's warranty, if they discover you are using a kerosene heater. Kerosene heaters put out carbon monoxide, AND add moisture to the air, which can lead to other long term problems such as mold.

IF you have a gas water heater, a gas/wood burning fireplace, there should be a fresh air supply to those units, bringing air in from an area outside the living space. Many new gas central air furnaces will bring combustible air down from the attic space. The purpose of bringing in the 'fresh' air to the appliance is a safety factor, it brings in fresh oxygen for the unit to burn, as opposed to taking it out of the air you breathe in the living space. This technology has been adopted in many areas as part of the building codes, but older homes often do not have them.

As for Radon - Radon gas is naturally occurring in any kind of underground space. The best and simplest solution is to exchange the air on a regular basis. This can be done with a fresh air intake similar to those found on central air furnaces, or those supplying gas appliances, and fire places. You need an 'exchange' of air, bring fresh air in, old air out. In large factories, this is done with heat exchangers, to help minimize temperature differences between the outside and inside air. Another option is to bring air down from the attic space, like the modern furnace units do, and vent the old air to the outside. This method is a good choice if you live in a cold climate area.

Exchanging the air in the basement has an added benefit, in that it also helps reduce the moisture there, which, in turn helps eliminate, or at least slow down, mold growth. Mold thrives on moisture - the more moisture there is, the faster it will spread.
If your basement walls are always damp, check into ways to help stop water penetration, or condensation. Sometimes this is as simple as painting the walls with a moisture blocking paint, or as complex as excavating around the foundation to repair/install drainage, or sealers. At the very least, add a dehumidifier to the basement to help reduce the moisture content in the basement's air.
Pipes and ducts that tend to collect condensation (cold water lines, or central air ducts when running the air conditioner) should be insulated and wrapped with a moisture barrier to help prevent condensation. Any leaks, even slow drips, should be repaired as soon as possible.

You may want to consider using pillow and mattress covers on your beds too, such as those used by asthmatics, to prevent dust build up in them, dead skin cells, and even dust mites. I know this is a simple step that helps asthmatics sleep better.

I'm sure there are some things I've missed here, or situations which could call for particular solutions, but this should give you a good point from which to start looking at your home's air quality.

Good Luck




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Amish fireplace heat surge Not worth it?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment