Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Amish Electric Fireplace? Is it good?




Carlos


Ok well I live in a house that needs oil for our heat. The fall and winter is very near and within a month or so, it will be getting much cooler. As of right now we can't really afford oil. Really we can't. So I saw this thing in the newspaper about an Amish electric fireplace. Says it can warm up the whole downstaris. Now the house is small so its not like we need many of them, but I wanted to know if anyone has used them. Or does anyone know if this is good and if so, how is it better from any other kind of electric heater. I really would like to know becasue we don't have hundreds and hundreds of dollars to spend on oil this year. We think maybe this can be an alternative for this winter. But can it beat your regular electric heater? Threats to the house even?


Answer
Our local news station did a piece on this last year. The so called "Authentic" Amish Electric Fireplace is nothing more than an cheap electric heater and a veneer paneling that is glued in place. The advertisement's claim that it will heat the whole downstairs was another let down, as it was barely able to heat the area around the unit.

For what you would pay for this pile of beans, you would be able to go down to your local hardware store and get a heater that would heat the whole house.

For heating with small heaters, I would recommend getting a few smaller ones rather than one big one anyways. The smaller units that have a six to nine inch fan in them should work fine, and place one in each room of the house. Be careful of using them all at once, as you may trip a circuit breaker. I used one in a small apartment and ran it for about twenty minutes when I got home at the end of the day, and about twenty minutes before bed. Then in the morning, I would reach out and turn it back on for twenty minutes to heat the room when I got out of bed. This method of heating should work in your situation, and the units cost about $20 - $30 a piece. The best thing is that the fan moves the heat out and about rather than it radiating from one area.

It porbably would not hurt to check the insulation in your home as well. If there is none in the outside walls and attic, or if it is thin, you may look at adding some before it gets too cold. As a temp fix, you can hang thick blankets on the walls. Not only will this help to keep the heat in the house, it can also be decorative.

As for the Amish, come on. Do you really think that a society that does not use electricity would actually build a high quality Electric Heater?

Good Luck. I would act soon,as the Almanac is saying that this is going to be a cold winter.

Central Heat and electric bill?




gabyrig


I have central heat/air in my condo. I find that we are paying way more money than when I lived in a force air or steam/radiant heat apartment. The bill went from $50 to $122 this january. The heat bill also went for $90 to $222. I have a honeywell thermostat that only allows for settings of 10 to 30 minutes of heating at a time. Nothing continuous. Is there a way I can save on electric and heating bill? I think I need a solution with the heating system. Maybe if it were going continuously rather than going and stopping ever 10-30 minutes, it would use less energy.
Please help!



Answer
My buddy swears by those high efficiency electric fireplaces. He says their cheaper than gas heat.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Amish Electric Fireplace? Is it good?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment