Thursday, March 13, 2014

Using small electric portable heaters in rooms at night and turning gas heat way down?




katesreven


I live in a large 3000 sq ft home in a winter city. This past winter our natural gas bill ran $400-$500 a month to heat the home from November through March. So, we divised a plan to cut costs down.

At night, I am turning down the main thermostat to 55 degree and we are closing our 3 bedroom doors and using smaller portable electric heaters. The smaller heaters will heat the rooms nice and warm easily and run off and on about 40% of the time during the night.

So, will this help cut costs down? I know even with gas prices more then tripple in the past few years, electric is probably more, but do you expect this stretegy will save some $? Thanks



Answer
Electricity is Cheaper than Gas at this time. Just make sure those Electric Heaters do have Thermostats and tip over Safety devices on them. I have A Gas Log Fireplace, and the price of a gallon of Gas is outrageous now, so I rarely use it. You can also use Electric Blankets on the Bed at night to help stay warm. Personally I like it cooler when I am sleeping.

Do gel fireplaces produce heat?




wiccangal


I was thinking about getting an electric fireplace. However, I live in a mobile home and I am not sure about the wiring because it is pretty old. I like the idea of a gel fireplace too, but does it produce heat? Is it safe, does it cause fumes and does it run at all on electricity?


Answer
There are literal 100's of eclectic fireplaces that are on the market today to choose from.

They have them with a nice wooden mantle and some that even look like wood stoves.

They have an electric fan that throws out the heat and fake logs and lights to make them look real.
I bought the wood stove type for my bedroom because I live in a log home so it looks nice.

Mines throws out lots of heat and I am very happy with it.

They are very safe, affordable and look great.
To make mine look more real I added some small real logs to the exciting ones. It turned out looking great.

I would not use anything in your home with old electrical wires. Either have the electrical wires completely replaced or buy one of the new ones I describe.
There are always lots of these for sale in my local newspaper where people are moving and don't need them any more.

Also in just a couple of weeks there will be lots of these new and on sale after the holidays. In January all of these types of things are on sale to make way for spring items.

Be safe and good luck.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Using small electric portable heaters in rooms at night and turning gas heat way down?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment