Monday, September 30, 2013

How do you heat your home and keep Heating prices low?

electric fireplaces at walmart on Electric Heater Fireplace Walmart, Electric Heater Fireplace Walmart ...
electric fireplaces at walmart image



olivia6799


With natural gas prices rocketing sky high - what are you doing to keep your heating bills at a minimal? Any unique ideas to heat up your place without giving up your arm this coming winter?

Currently we have an air-forced duct system in place. I really hate it, the heat does not distribute evenly throughout the house and despite of having a so-called humidifier installed
into the system, we still have excessive dry air.

I really liked those old water based - radiator heaters, it minimized static and really kept homes warm -- whatever happen to those?

Anyway, give me ideas on how to maintain a nice warm house this winter, I do not want to make this a major project -- keep it nice and simple.

I also have two non-working fireplaces in this old house, I don't have the slightest idea how to use / maintain one. Currently there are sealed off, and if I get it going ... will it even be safe? will it be worth it ? Please share your ideas with me -- I am desperate! ~thanks



Answer
The house I own had no heating system other than a blower box on the fireplace when I bought it. Several thousand dollars later I had central heat with a heat pump in place. I thought all would be great, until I got my first heating bill. If I use that thing I can expect heating bills to range from $300-600 a month in the winter.

SOOOoo I have become something of an obsessive about tricks and alternative heating sources.

1. You would not believe how much outside air leaks into your house. Go around when it's cold and windy and put your hand over door cracks, keyholes in the knobs, window sills, even along the floor by the wall. If you can't plaster over the leak, tape it. All that cold air coming in just drives up your costs.

2. A $4 flannel blanket from Walmart works wonders when hung over doorways that are not regularly used. I also hang them over windows as a cheap alternative to heavy drapery.

3. Those fireplaces? Forget 'em. They'll suck out more heat than they put in. The only time a fireplace really does good is if you are either right in front of it, or you have a blower insert that forces the heat out into the house instead of sending it all up the chimney.

4. I can't say enough about those $1.25 draft dodgers that you stick on the base of your doors. Just peel the backing and stick them on. Any hardware store or Walmart will have them.

5. Insulation. When is the last time you checked it in your attic? You lose a LOT of heat through the ceiling, so a few hundred bucks worth of blown in insulation can save you thousands over a few years. You need at least 6 inches of insulation up there (I put in a foot!), so if it's all compressed down to a few inches, it's time to resupply.

Look around, you'll find one of those radiators. I finally realized the heat pump was very efficient until the outside temp dropped below 45, then the meter nearly spun off it's base. So, I hooked up a free standing, vent free, propane fueled fireplace that will make the place toasty warm when the temp drops into the 30s or below.

Avoid the temptation to get little electric space heaters. The energy they use up to make that little bit of heat is NOT worth it.

Do electric fireplaces really look real?




Richie Ric


The ones I saw at walmart and homedepot look like crap. I looked online and some some from a company called Dimplex that looks pretty real. Has anyone bought one of these? Do they look real? I don't want to be be embarrassed with some piece of crap that I bought online and can't return. Does anyone have any other companies to suggest? Thanks.


Answer
do electric fireplaces look real?...well they kind of do, but the better electric fireplaces are not going to be at a big box store, you really need to visit a specialty fireplace shop. Any shop worth its bricks will carry a good brand that looks more realistic.
Overall though you are not going to fool anyone that an electric fireplace is a real one. They are an aesthetic all their own.
Personally i like the look of them and they are easy to operate but they are not going to fool anybody into thinking they are real.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do you heat your home and keep Heating prices low?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment