Saturday, July 27, 2013

If I remove the fireplace doors on my non-working fireplace, is it still wasting energy?

electric fireplaces energy efficient on High Efficiency Fireplace Inserts  Fireplaces
electric fireplaces energy efficient image



Laura


I have a non-working fireplace. The chimney was closed off when the roof was re-done. I want to remove the fireplace doors, and paint the fireplace so it can still be a focal point in the room, despite the fact that it no longer works. If I remove the fireplace doors, will all my AC (in Florida!) go in to my attic? Or will simply keeping the damper shut prevent that? I want it to be aesthetically pleasing AND energy efficient! Thanks!


Answer
It shouldn't cause the a/c or heat to go into your attic. However, remember that cold air sinks and hot air rises and you are going to leak some air/heat into the chimney stack. My suggestion is this. Take the doors off and see if you notice an increase in you electric bill. I suspect that you won't during the summer, but you may notice a slight increase in the winter because of the hot air rising into the chimney. If you are the type of person who is overly green then you could have a contractor come in and block off the chimney just above the fireplace.

What kind of heater should I buy to save money?




countryboy


I live in a one bedroom apartment with 2 very active cats. I have a large dining room and living room I never use. My question is, what kind of heater would be the safest and most energy efficient to use in one room at a time? I would like to cut down on my utility bill and not use my central heat as much.


Answer
I have 3 active cats and an electric fireplace stove that I can move from room to room. It uses far less electricity than oil or convection heaters. And my cats sit on top with no problem- it's cool to the touch and they can't knock it over. Just make sure that toys don't get knocked up against any heater.

Here's a link with more information: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1900810/electric_fireplaces_and_fireplace_stoves.html?cat=6




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: If I remove the fireplace doors on my non-working fireplace, is it still wasting energy?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment