Wednesday, April 23, 2014

me and my gf want to move to the city, is this plan realistically possible?

Q. OK, Lets start by saying the basics. We are both 19. My gf is from and currently still is in Australia, and im from the US. Weve been together for a long time. She is having problems at home, and needs somewhere to go, so i said she could come live with me, and wed move to the albany area.

Now, i would like to attend college when she comes here. So i was thinking she could get a full time job (shes up for it), while i attend college and work part time.

3 questions.
1. If we were to find an apartment, and we have no credit, would we be able to have my parents cosign and that would by pass the credit check?
2. If we were able to find an apartment for 600-700 a month with utlities included, would we be able to afford it?
3. If not, would we be better off getting a 2 BR with a roommate?

Thanks for anyone who helps, as im trying to get life together and am under alot of stress


Answer
I was 18 when my boyfriend and i got our first apartment due to the fact i was adopted and didnt have real parents.

I currently am living in ohio so rules might be different but my apartment would not accept co-signers but the would increase the down-payment (one months rent plus 200) to cover any costs monthly or damage done to the home. And if they relieved the monthly payment later than 15 days after due they would tell you that you needed to be out within the month. My first apartment was a 2 bedroom 1 bath 2nd floor for 650. Also had gas and electric both plus water at a fixed rate.. With the bills i was paying about 830. You need to figure out the ins and outs of the apartment such as if it has gas or electric or a fireplace, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer square footage to figure out how much the energy bill will cost. If its gas it will be a little bit more than electric and if you have more appliances it will be more expensive to run them. So i cant say yes or no if you could afford a 600-700 because i dont know what specific place you are looking at and what they include or not.

Also i would like to let you know some places, like mine, require you to have a certain income because not all the income goes to bills, some go to car payment, groceries, doctors, eating out and gas.

Having a romate is also a big step because of privacy issues and you want to make sure you have all the rules and contracts written down before you go into the apartment.

I hope everything works out for you and i hope my own personal experience can help.

I'm about to be 18 and I have some questions?

Q. Okay, well, I honestly don't know how to start. I guess I kind of need like a mentor or something? I don't want to feel stupid but I honestly have no one I can ask these to and I feel slightly over-whelmed. Well, I might as well start from the beginning, I live in Dayton, Ohio and I'm a 17 year old female, and I want to move out by the time I'm 18, and my birthday is in the beginning of June. I have so many questions I don't even know where to start and I'm just looking for someone to answer some of my questions, no matter how stupid they may be.

First of all, does anyone know what places hire people under 18? I know of McDonald's, Starbucks, Burger King, etc. I've applied to some of these and never got a call back and I really want to get a job as soon as possible because my parents won't let me get my license until I have one, which I understand completely but I have no way of getting around anywhere aside from walking, which is good for me, but sometimes it's just too much. Btw, I think sometimes I tend to go on and on... Like I'm doing now.
Anyway, how much does getting a drivers license cost? Including everything in drivers ed?
What are some typical appliances/furniture most people have?
With most apartments will I be using gas or electric or both? Add price estimates, if possible?
What is a reasonable price for one bedroom apartments?
Is it better to have a roommate? (I have looked this up many times, and done the math to the best of my ability and I always come up short, going by minimum wage and maximum prices, but honestly this all confuses me.)

I have so many more questions so if anyone could/would help me out reply here or send me an email at: nonya_bizz_nizz@yahoo.com


I appreciate any help. I think I need all that I can get right now.


Answer
You might get a job at Macy's or a place like Marshall's, Home Goods, Hallmark, etc. Also - all the fast food chain restaurants - Denny's, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, Sonic; coffee shops too.

A driverâs license application will cost you about $10. The eye exam is free at the DMV. You will need to borrow somebodyâs car for the actual exam.
Are your parents buying you a car? If not, you might not be able to get one yourself just yet, because of your credit history (read below.) You will also need insurance - talk to them and see who will be paying about that.

Typical appliances/furniture: I'll tell you the very basic things that you'll need... a bed with box spring, a dresser (or two), a couch, table/desk with several chairs, coffee table and/or side table. You will likely need a microwave, a toaster, some plates, cups, silverware, utensils, knives, a frying pan (if you plan on cooking), tablecloth, trash can, towels, shower curtain and a mat, a laundry basket, a shoe rack, some hangers. You might want to get a TV and a computer. Think about the curtains/blinds.

Apartments usually use electricity for things like the fridge, microwave, washer and dryer, A/C. Most ovens and some fireplaces use gas. My husband and I pay about $180 for everything in a 1,200 ft. apartment in New Jersey (close to New York City.)

I looked at apartment prices in and around Dayton, Ohio for you. You can get a 1 or 2 bedroom for about $500+. Of course there are some cheaper options â like $375 for a 1 bedroom. Check out craigslist.org

Having a roommate - Do you have credit cards or a credit history? If you donât, it might be a challenge renting your own place. You will have to search for roommates who already have a lease. And even then a lot of people wonât be willing to share their space with you. Because you have no way of proving that you are âfinancially responsible.â Even if you have a job - being employed at a certain place for less than a year is not considered as a good enough âproof.â Plus, itâs always nice to share the utilities with someone. Itâs even better if you get several roommates, as there are nice 4 bedroom houses for $800. That means that youâd have to pay $200 for your room. And it could be fun to have some company since you are 18.
I had 4 roommates when I was your age.

You will also have to pay for Internet, TV and phone â that should be around $100 a month for the regular service and about $165 if you want to add the premium channels and some insanely fast Internet (like Verizon FiOs.)
Water is about $30-50 if you do a lot of laundry.

Iâd be happy to answer any other questions that you might have. Drop me a line if you'd like.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: me and my gf want to move to the city, is this plan realistically possible?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment