Saturday, December 14, 2013

Does anyone have info on "Heat Surge HT-Xl" furnaces made by the Amish ?

electric fireplaces video on Electric Fireplaces
electric fireplaces video image



HollysMom


I read about this furnace in the newspaper & thought it sounded GREAT, before I buy it I would like to know if anyone has bought 1 or knows of someone who has. Can you also give me your input on this furnace, every little bit will help. The newspaper is offering a $198.00 coupon.


Answer
Consumer Reports posted a video review of this exact item on YouTube. It's a Chinese made faux fireplace with an Amish-made wooden mantle. For some reason, it seems heaters with combustible housings are trendy lately. Check the first link I've included if you want to see what happens when something goes horribly wrong with a heater made out of materials that burn.

All 120v electric heaters are 100% efficient and they all max out at 1,500 watts (5,121 BTU). Buy the least expensive one that is made out of something that doesn't burn - that means not plastic or wood.

I'm 23. Is it too late to learn the acoustic guitar?




Fredisapus


I'm really interested in the acoustic guitar and always have wanted to play an instrument like that or the violin. I'm swaying towards the acoustic guitar and haven't played one before. I'm right handed but not too sure what type of acoustic guitar is right for me - i'm obviously a beginner but want something decent enough so I can learn to play good stuff like Oasis etc.

I just imagine me on a Sunday night, fireplace on and playing the guitar. No electric stuff, just me and the guitar.



Answer
Never too late - although how proficient you can become depends a lot on your natural talent, hand-eye coordination, 'ear' for music, patience, and how much time you devote to it.

I would suggest getting a guitar and trying it out. If you know anyone who plays, have them come with you to some guitar shops and see what is available - there are a wide variety of styles available at an equally wide range of prices.

There is something to be said for having quality gear - and it can have a serious affect on how you procede, but at the same time, you don't have to shell out thousands of dollars to get a good instrument.

I started off on a borrowed 'classical acoustic' - 3 metal strings, 3 nylon strings, and a straight neck (as opposed to tapering towards the headstock). I took some basic lessons to learn some chords, etc. - and then took off on my own.

I had a lot of friends who played, so a picked up tips and tricks from them, and fortunately I am able to play most things 'by ear' (resorting to looking up music or tabs only for extremely elaborate parts - or where it is difficult to make out the guitar in the mix).

Fortunately the internet is packed full of tabs for about every song ever written ('tablature' differs from standard 'staff' music in that it has six lines, each representing a string on the guitar, and little circles with numbers in them that represent the frets. You can easily figure out chords, progressions, scales, etc. - although you have to be careful, because not all tabs are accurate (and some are absolutely terrible).

The best bet is to print a few out, and see how they sound compared to the original. I'm a big fan of doing my own renditions of songs rather than trying to 'cover' the song note for note - although on occasion (especially when playing with a band) I will learn the original version to keep confusion down. When starting out, there is nothing wrong with 'faking' a song (playing the basic chord progression without any of the fancy stuff - if you are trying to sing along it makes it a lot easier to do both at the same time), but I always have difficulty correcting myself if I have been playing it 'wrong' for a while.

While I mostly play electric (especially semi-hollow electrics like my '67 Gibson ES125), I have a lot of respect for acoustic guitars, and those who play them well. It eliminates the need for a lot of extra equipment, cords, etc. (although you can get acoustics with built in pickups, eq, and tuners).

CF Martin and Taylor make some of the best ones I've played, although for decent entry-level guitars there are a lot of choices - Gibson and Fender of course, but also Yamaha, Ibanez, and others.

Again, some basic lessons are suggested, just to learn your way around the guitar - tuning, basic chords/scales, etc., there are a ton of youtube videos (of varying quality) that you can use to expand your knowledge.

Good luck - and have fun by the fireplace!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Does anyone have info on "Heat Surge HT-Xl" furnaces made by the Amish ?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment